Monday, September 13, 2010

Blueberry the troublemaker.






Getting ready for church Sunday morning, checking on everyone before I go. "Baaa Baaaa BAAAAAA!" What is going on? Blueberry Muffin is tangled again in the electric netting and wearing it like a necktie. How do you catch a sheep without breaking a plastic net? As soon as I got close to her she started dragging it and raking it against the chainlink on the dog kennel. I caught hold of the net, worked my way to her and jumped on top of Blueberry. She yanked and kicked. I wrestled her to the ground and we both took a breather. We must be evenly matched wrestling partners. I eased her head and legs out of the netting and yes, she broke a bit of it, but not badly. As soon as she was free, we both stood up and shook the dust off. Some whole corn lured the three of them back into their night time kennel. I gave them a big flake of hay to chew on until we got back from church. The net could be untangled later. I was just glad to have found her before we left. She would have been baking in the sun with no way to get to the water or rolled tighter into the net. Thank you Lord for watching out for us!

1 comment:

  1. Sheep have an odd physiological thing - if you lift them up under their front legs and set them on their bottoms (so they are kind of sitting up), they will go limp. I have tested this myself when I had to take jugular blood samples on sheep at Clemson, so I know it works, though that was on not-quite-fully-grown sheep, so it might be more difficult for one person with fully grown ewes! Just a weird sheep quirk!

    ReplyDelete